Friday, November 30, 2018

Refrigerated Pickled Granny Smith Apples

I have guests coming for dinner and am serving a heavy meal of BBQ ribs and twice-stuffed potatoes.  I wanted something on the plate to cut the richness.  I know my friend loves Granny Smith apples so decided on this.  I made them two days in advance.

  • 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cut into slices
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger

First I mixed all the ingredients (except apples) into a sauce pan.  I heated it up and turned it off after the sugar melted.


I sliced the apples and put them into a jar that I had splashed some of the liquid into.  After all the apples were in, I poured the remaining liquid in until full.  I covered the jar and put in the fridge overnight.


I tried them the next day.  Cinnamon flavor was the predominant one, I didn't detect the ginger at all.  Apples were tart, crisp with just a note of sweetness.  Just might do the trick!  The recipe said they will keep for 2 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment