Monday, February 18, 2019

Bouillabaisse

One of my dreams is to travel to Marseille and have Bouillabaisse there.  I viewed a LOT of different recipes.  In the end, I did my own thing, with what I had.  I made a rouille (I added a fire-roasted red pepper) too and used it on toasted slices of potato bread.  My seafood was frozen except for the shrimp.  What I used:

  • 1 can (28 oz) of no salt organic diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 a white onion, diced
  • 1 small leek, halved and sliced (no dark greens used)
  • 1 small fennel bulb, sliced thinly in half rings and fronds chopped finely and for garnish
  • 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
  • 3 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low sodium vegetable stock
  • Zest of one orange
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
  • 3 shallots, sliced thinly
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Fresh baby dill, thyme, Italian parsley and tarragon, tied in a bundle with twine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1 lb Pacific white prawns (26 -30 ct), tails removed
  • Fresh shrimp (20 pieces), I used half peeled and half with heads on
  • 1 lb King crab claws and legs, split and cracked
  • Wild salmon filets, sliced into 1 inch length pieces
  • Wild Pacific cod filets, sliced into 1 inch length pieces
The rouille was made before I started and the bread was sliced and ready to toast.  Wow, that rouille tasted good - and garlicky - extreeeeemeeely garlicky, just sayin'.  


In a dutch oven, in the olive oil, I sauteed the shallots, leek, onion, fennel and garlic.  I did these until soft.  I seasoned with S&P.


Everything else besides the seafood went into the pool next.  


I brought this to a boil, lowered it and simmered for a half hour to bring the broth flavors together.  I removed the herbs and bay leaf.

The cod and salmon went in.  After a couple of minutes, I put in the crab and then shrimp a couple more minutes later.  Another minute or two later (with lid covered), it was ready.  I toasted the toasts.  I also made my son some "Red Lobster" biscuits.  


I saw them on sale and figured he'd like them, and there was cheese too.  I did these because my son doesn't like anise flavor and with the fennel and tarragon, I figured I need to try and make a distraction for him...




I served, garnished with fennel fronds.  I LOVE a thin broth.  I often wonder after I make soups why I add so much stuff into them and wish I made the broth the star.  This had a lot going on, but at least the broth was prominent.  I tasted the orange and anise and thought it was wonderful.  The cayenne gave a little smolder of heat.  The seafood was cooked perfectly - the ones in the shells/heads on were mushy, so I just fished them out and discarded them - they really just worked to make the broth flavorful.  Excellent meal.  The crab rocked this and the rouille was insanely delicious in it.  Next time I will substitute the shrimp w/shells & heads for clams.  Then, for me, it would be perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment