Saturday, March 2, 2019

Leftover Pork Roast Cheesy Egg Noodle Casserole

I had quite a lot of pork roast leftover from last night's dinner.  I decided to invent a casserole with whatever I had in the house.  I went rummaging through the cupboards and fridge.  What I ended up using:

  • 340 grams "No Yolks" egg noodles, prepared and cooked to package directions
  • 3 cups cooked pork loin roast, cubed
  • 1 can Campbell's tomato soup (I was hoping to find cream of mushroom but nope)
  • 1/2 cup leftover gravy
  • 1 cup low sodium "Better than Bouillon" vegetable stock
  • 1 cup light sour cream
  • 3 cups old cheddar, grated and divided
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 jar (12 oz) fire roasted red peppers, drained and diced
  • 1/2 cup leftover roasted carrots, diced
  • 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
  • 2 larges stalks of kale, stripped off stems and chopped finely
  • 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's no salt "21 Salute" seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
  • 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's Umami Seasoning Blend 
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
I used cooking spray on a 13" x 9" baking dish.  In a frying pan, I sauteed the onion and garlic until the onion was caramelized.  I added in the pork next followed by all the veggies and seasonings.  


I stir fried for few minutes.  Then I added in liquids and sour cream.  I mixed well and dumped into the casserole dish.


I stirred in the noodles with 2 cups of cheese and combined until everything was incorporated all together and spread out evenly.


I topped the dish with remaining cheese and then the panko.  This went into a pre-heated 350°F oven on a foil lined baking sheet.


I took it out an hour later when it was bubbling and cheese was melty and crumbs browned.


I had a small plate.  It was what you'd expect with what I used.  I found it a tad too salty.  It was a good way to use the leftovers,  My son enjoyed it.  I put some in his lunch for tomorrow and froze the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment