Saturday, March 30, 2019

Easy Eggplant Parmigiana

I have never made this and I think it's because I make Moussaka + newer version, which I love.  I have fried eggplant before and it sucks the oil - like a sponge.  I didn't want to try this dish with deep frying so I did it the same way I make my moussaka.  Eggplant was priced good where I bought it, and for $3, I picked up three.



This is what I conjured up in my head tonight.
  • 3 medium eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
  • Organic extra virgin olive oil, as needed
  • 1 jar and 1/2 of Rao's marinara sauce (680 ml per jar)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Crushed chili flakes, to taste
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
  •  Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup  Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
  • 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 1 & 1/2 cups panko crumbs, toasted in olive oil
Preheat broiler to 500°F. Brush one side of eggplant slices with oil and season with S&P.  Place in a single layer on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Use cooking spray on the parchment.


Broil on top oven rack and flip when golden brown.  Repeat with other side.


Keep oven door ajar while doing this.  Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.  Toast the panko in a non-stick pan with a swirl of olive oil.  Season with S&P and stir until lightly browned.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool.  Mix with the Parmesan cheese.  Combine well.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and add garlic and chili flakes. Sauté until fragrant.   Add jarred sauce and basil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.  Check seasoning and use S&P if needed.


In a 9 x 9 inch baking dish grease it with cooking spray.  Spoon marinara sauce to cover bottom, then add a thin scattering of panko and Parmesan.



Add a single layer of eggplant.  Cover with scant sauce and then mozzarella.  Repeat until all ingredients are used, ending with  sauce and remaining Parmesan and panko mixture on top. 


Put dish on baking sheet covered with foil.  Bake until eggplant mixture is bubbly and center is hot, about an hour.  Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving. 



My son and one of my closest friends do not like eggplant.  I cannot understand it - they both say it's "texture" issues.  It is one of my favorite vegetables, probably one that I could eat above all others.  Anyway, you might guess that I liked this dish.  I did.


I still, forever, will pick my Moussaka first.  I was hoping for more cheesiness in this, to see ooey gooey mozzarella, but other than that, it was tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment