Sunday, March 24, 2019

Egg White, Spinach, Bacon, Cheese, Tomato Breakfast Bakes

So, my friend turned me onto this low carb protein bread which was not bad when toasted and only nets 1 gram of carb, per slice!  I thought I'd make these to go along side it for breakfast at work for this following week.  I made 6 in a jumbo muffin tin.  You could use whatever you want in them...bell pepper, green onions, red onions, mushrooms, zucchini, kale, cilantro, parsley, chives, etc. etc - the possibilities are endless!  I used what I had in my fridge/house today.

  • One 500g carton - 14 free run egg whites
  • Chiffonade of organic baby spinach (about a handful)
  • 3 slices of no nitrates natural bacon, cooked till crisp and then crumbled
  • 6 oz 2 year old aged white cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/2 large roma tomato, diced
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
I preheated my oven to 350°F.  I used cooking spray on the tins and set aside.


I pan fried the bacon and blotted on paper towels when done.  I forgot to photograph it, as I did it first thing in the morning and wasn't thinking of taking pictures... I sliced my spinach and set aside.


I diced the tomato and set aside.


I grated the cheese and was ready to assemble.


I shook up well and poured the carton of egg whites divided evenly into each muffin cup.


Then I divided all the remaining ingredients evenly into each tin.


I baked these for 20 minutes and then checked to see.  They needed 5 more minutes (I tried to brown the tops).


I cooled the tray on a rack and then took them out of the pan and cooled them individually on the rack.


I put each one into a ziploc bag and then into the fridge.  Breakfast was ready for the next week.  If you were going to re-heat them in the nuker (microwave), I would only go for 30 seconds, but your mileage may vary...


Oh, we tried one (with Cholula hot sauce) as I only needed 5 for my work week 😉.  They deflated and were dense, but I didn't care at all.  Very yummy, easy breakfast and these were flavor bombed.  Some hot sauce shaken over top would be tasty (lucky for me, I have this in my desk drawer at the office).  But, next time, I think I'd put a diced jalapeno in.  Very little time to put together.  A win all the way around for an upcoming healthy work week breakfast.  Tomorrow I'm going to sandwich one of these in between a halved toasted slice of protein bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment