Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Instant Pot: Roast Beef (for Beef Dip)

Today screamed and begged me for comfort food.  I had this mad craving for beef dip tonight.  I think because I saw it on a sandwich board outside a restaurant as I was lunch walking last week.  It hasn't left my mind, I guess.  The closest grocery store to work had "outside round" roasts on sale for $5 a lb.



So, I got a $9 one.  I have no idea how to cook this type (never have) and no idea how to make it tender, though I knew it needed to be with that cut.  A light-bulb went on and I figured I'd give the instant pot a shot at it.  Reading online, it looked like 50 minutes should do it for my 2 lb roast...


I went very simple.  I seasoned with fresh cracked coarse sea salt and pepper on all sides.  I put some olive oil into the pot and hit the saute function.  When hot, I seared all sides and turned the pot off.  I put the roast on one flat side and dumped Knorr Au Jus (1 & 2/3 cups) down the side.


I locked the lid and  manually set the pressure cooker at high, 50 minutes.  It didn't take long to come to pressure, only about 10 minutes and I'm guessing because the au jus was still quite warm.


When done, I let it natural release for 10 minutes, then finished with quick.  I took the lid off.  I moved the roast to a cutting board.  Below you can see the steam rising up off it.


I cut the twine off and sliced.  I put the au jus back on saute while I assembled the sandwiches.


My son got the "true" comfort meal - onion rings as his side dish and 2 year aged melted cheddar on his toasted baguette.  That baguette was perfect - part sourdough, part whole wheat and held up to the dipping without becoming soggy, but yet yielded to being soft when dunked.


I got the dip, and was happy.  Mine was 1/3 of the size of his and it was all I needed, with my guilt.  (I did steal 2 onion rings as I couldn't resist).  The roast wasn't shredding or falling apart.  It was easy to slice though.  And it had texture to it still.  It really worked well for its purpose, but if it was pot roast, I'd be unhappy, I think - I'd want it more shredding and melt in the mouth.  It wasn't tough though and the au jus was bomb great.  The S&P did its job - no other seasoning necessary.  No complaints.  My son LOVED this.

No comments:

Post a Comment