Sunday, March 3, 2019

Christine's Chopped Salad

I got back from Vegas and had a very pedestrian chopped salad.  I decided to make my own for Sunday dinner.  I'm not going to lie, I put a shit load of ingredients in.  This would make work lunches as well.  I'm not giving measurements for the greens, just use what you want/need.  I used leftover steelhead trout for myself and no nitrate turkey breast for my son's (he claims fish on a salad is not right).  I made a basic vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, currants and S&P.

  • Fresh kale, stripped from stem and chopped coarsely
  • Fresh organic spring mix salad
  • Fresh organic baby arugula
  • Fresh Napa cabbage, chopped
  • Fresh romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 can (19 oz) of low salt chickpeas, rinsed really well
  • 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
  • 375 grams natural bacon, cooked till crisp and diced (my son could only find lazy maple he said, so that's what we used)
  • 1 bunch of radishes, quartered and sliced
  • 2 bell peppers, diced
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled, halved, seeds removed and sliced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • Old cheddar cheese, cubed small, to taste
  • 1/4 cup pistachio nuts
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Everything Bagel seasoning, to taste
I washed the chopped greens well, rinsed again and then drained/dried them.  (I'm still a little paranoid about romaine)...  


I diced all the veggies except the avocado which I did last.  


I cut up the turkey and cubed the cheese.  I cooked the bacon and broke it up into pieces.


I gave each of our salads a mix in a salad bowl with the dressing and seasonings.  I plated.  I finished with the pistachios (on my son's).  


I forgot to give him all the chopped veggies, lol.  He didn't mind.  I told him it wasn't a real chopped salad then.  He still didn't care.  I plopped a handful of his missing vegetals onto his plate anyway.  


The salads were delicious.  Lots of great crunch and texture.  They were dressed perfectly.  The everything bagel seasoning was really tasty on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment