Monday, March 18, 2019

Instant Pot: Curried Opo Squash & Chana Dal

I found opo squash in the grocery store today so looked for a recipe to utilize them.  I don't think I've ever cooked with them before, and if I have, I don't remember.



I doubled her recipe (I don't know if I doubled the opo - I'm no good with veggie and "cup" measurements?) and I had to make a couple of substitutions.  I couldn't find asafetida (hing) or jaggery.  What I used:
  • 2 opo squash, peeled, sliced into one inch thick pieces and cut into quarters
  • 1 cup Chana Dal, soaked in water for one hour, rinsed and drained
  • 1 roma tomato, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons unrefined organic coconut sugar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 3 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • Indian chili powder, to taste (I used about a teaspoon)
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
I got everything ready to go, so all I had to do was dump and pour once I started.




I heated my pot with the saute function.  I heated the oil then added the mustard seeds and onion/garlic powders.  I stirred briefly until I could smell the spices.  I put in the squash, Dal, remaining spices, tomato and water.  I stirred.


I locked the lid and set manual high pressure for 6 minutes.


It was hard to guess because she used a stove top pressure cooker in her recipe.  I natural released at 6 minutes through and it was no where near done, as per below.


So, I reset manual high pressure for 9 more minutes...I used natural release again.  When finished I removed the lid.  I checked to make sure it wasn't too watery (it wasn't) and checked seasoning (more salt, more sugar).  I garnished and served.  I had mine with whole wheat roti.



I savored this, a lot.  It was borderline too spicy for me, so maybe I'd cut the chili to half next time?  Otherwise, I enjoyed this very much.  I loved the squash and Dal together.  Still not my OMG, WOW Instant pot recipe, but not bad, not bad... it would have been much easier if I only did ONE cook in the instant pot, but next time I know now...

No comments:

Post a Comment