Saturday, August 4, 2018

Greek Moussaka 2.0

I have the recipe that I've used for years and years AND years.  I changed it up a  little today.  Eggplant were on sale and I soon as I saw that, I knew I had to make Moussaka this weekend.



I made the meat sauce and potatoes the night before.  This entree is a labor of love as it is a ton of work (and dishes)!  What I did:

Meat Sauce:
  • 1 and 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
  • 1 large Walla Walla onion, diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 28 oz can no salt crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
I sauteed the onion in the olive oil and when soft, added in the garlic.  I stirred for another minute and added in the beef and cooked until browned.  All the remaining ingredients went in.  I brought to a boil, then a simmer, covered for 30 minutes.


I cooled the sauce down and put it in the fridge overnight.  I also parboiled some new potatoes, until just soft.  I cooled these also and put them in the fridge beside the sauce.  Today, I brought them out and brought to room temperature.

Béchamel Sauce and Topping:
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 cups of 2% milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated over microplane
  • 1 egg yolk
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup of feta cheese, crumbled and sprinkled over top 
  • 1/2 cup of goat cheese, crumbled and sprinkled over top
Veggies:
  • 1 lb baby new potatoes, parboiled, sliced in 1/2 inch rounds, seasoned with S&P and then fried in 2 tablespoons EV olive oil
  • 2 eggplants, sliced in 1/2 inch rounds, brushed with extra virgin olive oil, S&P and browned under broiler until soft
I preheated my oven broiler to 500°F.  I lined a large baking sheet with parchment and put the eggplant slices over.  I brushed with oil and seasoned with S&P.  When browned, I flipped and did the same process to the other side.


I did 2 trays.  When done, I set the eggplant aside on a plate and let cool.  I sliced and fried the potato slices next.  I sprayed a 13" x 9" baking dish with my "Misto" which had olive oil in it.  


I laid down the potatoes  until they fully covered the bottom of the pan.  I spread a layer of sauce over top.


A layer of eggplant, a layer of sauce and I repeated once more.



I preheated my oven to 400°F.  Lastly I made the Béchamel sauce.  I melted the butter, stirred in the flour with my whisk and then added the milk.  I grated the nutmeg and added S&P.  I mixed until it came to a boil and thickened.  I removed from heat and whisked in the egg yolk.  I poured on top of the casserole.


I had set the dish on a baking sheet lined with foil as it was almost full without the Béchamel sauce.  I topped with the Feta and Goat cheeses.


I put it into the oven for 40 minutes.


I let this rest for an hour today as I made it during the morning/afternoon.  I gently reheated it in the microwave.


This was special.  You could taste and feel all the love I put into it.  The potato addition was nice, as was the goat cheese.  The eggplant was sweet but I think my favorite thing was the fresh ground allspice.  That was a nice addition to the cinnamon.  Wonderful dinner enjoyed by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment