Sunday, August 12, 2018

Baked Crusted Cod

I really had planned to cedar-plank my cod, but alas, there were no planks at Costco when I went shopping.  😞  So, after looking through multiple recipe ideas, I came up with this for dinner tonight.  It was a cool day outside (finally!) so I was able to use the oven.

  • 2 lbs of fresh Pacific cod filets
  • 1/2 cup crushed crackers (I used Cheese Nips)
  • 1/2 cup Panko
  • 1 teaspoon "Old Bay" seasoning
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Large handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 lemon, zested and juice squeezed
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup of half fat mayo and Dijon mustard mixed together with a couple good shakes of Cholula hot sauce.
I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I started by putting parchment paper on a baking sheet and coating it with cooking spray.  I took a small non-stick fry pan and melted the butter and added the olive oil.  I put in the garlic and stirred until cooked but not brown.  Next in went the Panko, Old Bay, S&P and cracker crumbs.  I toasted these until just browned.  I mixed in the cilantro, zest and lemon juice.  I set aside to cool.


I patted the cod dry with paper towels.  I put them on the on the baking sheet.  I seasoned each side with S&P.  I took the mayo/mustard mixture and brushed one side.


I spooned on the cracker mixture and pushed it in trying to pack it like a crust.


There was just barely enough for the three pieces of fish I had.  Using my handy dandy thermometer I baked until the cod temperature was 135°F.  That was 20 minutes.  I had roasted some asparagus along side and served with that.


The cod was the star of this dish and the breading was so flavorful and delicious.  It was perfectly cooked to opaque and was tender as can be.  A harmonious balance of heat, salt, herbs and acid with the lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment