Thursday, August 23, 2018

Fresh Peach Tarts

Peaches are in season.  I found a deal on really ripe peaches today for $1.28 a lb and they were local (from the Okanagan).  I wanted to make something easy so came across this recipe which I doubled (except the sugar).  I baked the tarts first according to package directions.




I decided I'd peel the peaches, so followed this here.
  • 7 fresh peaches (about 3 lbs), peeled and large dice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1⁄2 fresh lemon, squeezed
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 24 prepared tart shells
After the peaches were cooled, I skinned them.  


That was pretty easy this time.  I've had bad luck before but the skins slid right off with my fingers.  


I sliced them into quarters and then cut them up into a colander that was sitting in a bowl - they were slippery suckers!  


I tossed with the lemon juice and sugar and let them sit for a half hour.  I measured out the liquid.  I had exactly two cups.  


I poured it into a saucepan over medium high heat and then slowly whisked in the cornstarch and cinnamon.  I mixed constantly till clear and it looked like a glaze.  That took a good ten minutes and after it came to a boil.  Then I cooled it.  It took about a half hour.  All the time felt like extra work to me.  Nothing is ever as simple as it appears.


I spooned the peaches into the tart shells.  I ended up with about a cup extra.  I guess extra is better than not enough.  I poured the glaze over.  I was a little sloppy at first till I got the hang of pouring it in the tarts.


I ended up with about a half cup left over.  I let them sit in the fridge until they were set.  I topped with whip cream and served.  


My taste tester son LOVED them.  He popped two down in seconds.  I tasted it all and I found it really sweet.  He said it was sweet but not overpowering.  I would cut the sugar in half of what I used with ripe peaches next time.  Other than that, he said the fresh peaches made the tart special.


No comments:

Post a Comment