Monday, August 20, 2018

Farmer's Market Tomato Salad, with Corn, Avocado, Cucumber, Red Onions, Swiss Chard and Lemony Arugula

Everything I used was fresh and local except for the avocado.  They always come from Mexico but was fresh, lol.  The star of this salad would of course be the tomatoes.  Finally got the summer dream bounty of tomatoes that put me in food heaven.  There is nothing like tomatoes in season.  Soooo much better than anything from a hot house.  Sweet, flavorful and just outstanding.  I've already made my tarte tatin, and tomato sandwiches.  Tonight was salad to go with some ground turkey burgers I did on the grill.  But, to make it a meal, I would just add large prawns done on the grill and some homemade Ciabatta croutons - not tonight...

  • 1 corn on the cob, sliced off the cob into a bowl
  • 1 long English cucumber, peeled, halved, seeds removed and then sliced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, cleaned and large dice
  • 2 cups various tomatoes, the orange ones were cherry and called "SunGold", cut in halves or quarters
  • 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced, soaked in vinegar and water, then drained
  • 1 avocado, halved with pit removed, then diced
  • 1 handful of organic, lemony arugula
  • 3 fresh stems and leaves of Swiss Chard from Farmer's Market, sliced thinly
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/2 lime, juiced and tossed over diced avocados
  • Organic apple cider vinegar and honey dressing (I bought this at Costco), to taste - use how much you like to dress your salad
Just a slicing, dicing chop fest and then I tossed everything into my largest salad bowl so I could get a good mix of all the ingredients without them falling out the sides of a bowl.  (They still did as I always underestimate how many ingredients I'm using).  Below is the undressed result.


At dinner time, I dressed, seasoned and checked the seasoning after tasting.  All good, and I served.  Below is a side plate.


It was striking with wonderful textures and flavors.  Crunchy, sweet, tart, soft, super fresh.  Of course when you got a bite of those tomatoes, that was the highlight - Heaven.  👍

No comments:

Post a Comment