Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Barbecue Mushroom Quesadillas

I based my dinner on this recipe,  making adaptions to suit me.   I made different quesadillas (with boneless Maui ribs & avocado) for my son tonight.  He was not digging the mushroom idea thingy...

  • 1/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce (I used Stubb's original)
  • 1 good tablespoon no salt tomato paste
  • 1 good tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, snipped into tiny pieces with kitchen shears
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1 pound large cremini mushrooms, diced (I used my food processor, by pulsing)
  • 1 medium Walla Walla onion, finely diced (I used my food processor, by pulsing)
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 large whole-wheat tortillas
  • 2/3 cup grated Habanero Monterey Jack cheese, halved 
  • 1/3 cup of 5% fat light sour cream, for dipping
I mixed the first four sauce ingredients in a bowl.


I put the oil into a non-stick skillet and fried the shrooms, S&P and onions until soft and mushrooms were browned.  


It looked like ground beef when done, not that it was my goal for it look like that, but it did.  I poured in the sauce and simmered for 5 minutes until the mixture was combined together.  The mixture reduced a lot, so I found it perfect for dividing into two tortillas. 


In another non-stick pan I covered it with cooking spray and heated it over medium-low.  I took 2 tortillas, sprinkled cheese over each of them and then put in the mushroom mixture on one side.  I folded and put them in the pan.  When browned on one side, I flipped.  


When both sides were crisp, I moved to a board and used a pizza cutter to slice into 3 pieces for each quesadilla.  I plated and served with the sour cream on the side.


Whew, these had a kick of heat!  I loved it, but if you don't, you don't want to use what I did for the chipotle peppers and maybe not the cheese either...  I thought this was fantastic tasting, but very filling!  Probably a good thing when you're eating mushrooms as the main course.  😊 I could only get through one quesadilla, but that meant I had leftover lunch for tomorrow.  Glad I found the inspiration in the recipe to make this.  Me and mushrooms have a love affair...

No comments:

Post a Comment