Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Ziti with Fresh Arugula, Kale, Cherry Tomatoes & Goat Cheese

I was at home from work today limping around in pain from a bad fall, head foggy from muscle relaxants.  Rooting through the cupboards to see what I could make for dinner became my days only purpose.  This is what I came up with:
  • 28 oz can of "Kirkland" organic, no salt added diced tomatoes
  • 35 premium cherry on the vine tomatoes
  • 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • 1 lb of ziti, cooked to package directions
  • 8 oz organic kale and arugula
  • 2 tablespoons freeze dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon freeze dried Italian seasoning
  • Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 1/3 cup of organic extra virgin olive oil
  • 150 grams fresh goat cheese, crumbled
  • Freshly cracked black pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Fresh grated Parmesan cheese, to taste, for garnish
Mise en place first.  I had it all ready to go when it was time to make dinner.




Below is 300 grams of goat cheese, I used about half of it.


I turned the burner onto high for the water and when boiling added sea salt.  I cooked the pasta for ten minutes and drained, reserving a cup of starchy water.  While the pasta was cooking, I prepared the sauce.  


I heated the olive oil and put in the garlic and chilies.  I didn't want it brown, just fragrant.  


When that happened I tossed in the cherry tomatoes.  I cooked until they blistered and then poured in the canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning, basil and S&P.  I simmered until everything came together, about 5 minutes.  


I added the goat cheese at that time and gave one last stir.  


I put the pasta in the dutch oven and added the reserved water.  I mixed in the arugula and kale with it, followed by the sauce.  I stirred until all was well combined.  I served, garnished with Parmesan.


This was very good.  Tangy and creamy from the goat cheese, sweet from the cherry tomatoes and peppery from the arugula.  The Parmesan gave a nice saltiness.  And now my purpose is complete for the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment