Sunday, February 23, 2020

Ginger and Turmeric Noodle Soup

I knew this was my next recipe as soon as I saw it.  Restorative soup sounded good today and it became dinner.  It may even be vegan (?), I just didn't check each ingredient (the veggie stock mainly), but the noodles for sure were.  What I used with my minor edits:


GINGER-AND-TURMERIC CURRY PASTE:
  • 5 medium shallots, roughly sliced 


  • 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly sliced 
  • 4 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped 
  • 3 Serrano chiles, stems removed, roughly sliced 
  • 1 lime, freshly squeezed

  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin 
  • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric 
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 1/4 cup avocado oil
GARLIC OIL:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil 
  • 1 large garlic clove, very thinly sliced
SOUP:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 4 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium vegetable stock 
  • 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk 
  • 200 grams of white mushrooms, sliced, halved and sauteed in olive oil
  • 200 grams protein spaghetti noodles (broken in half)
  • Handful of kale, chopped bite size with stems removed
  • 3 scallions, sliced 
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped coarsely 

  • 1 lime, quartered
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste


For the curry paste, I pulsed the ingredients in the food processor till finely chopped.  I had to scrape down the sides once.  I added the oil and pulsed until a paste formed.  I scraped the sides down a couple of more times.  My eyes were watering from the Serrano peppers.  I scooped this out into a container with a spatula.


I had a taste and it was HOT!!!  🥵 I probably should have only used 2 Serranos or even just 1.  I covered and put in the fridge.  For the garlic oil, I heated the oil over med-high heat.  When it was hot, I dropped in the garlic and stirred until it just started to brown.  I immediately removed it from the burner and let it sit.  I did not want the garlic to burn.


It turned out delicious!  I could drizzle this over everything...I sauteed the mushrooms next and put aside when browned.


I got out my dutch oven and splashed some olive oil over med-high heat.  I put a half cup of the curry paste and stirred until aromatic, a couple of minutes, and it smelled fantastic.  I added the mushrooms, coconut milk and broth and combined and simmered while I prepared the spaghetti.  I cooked the noodles to al dente, package directions, then drained.  I added to the simmering soup broth.  I added in the kale, green onions and cilantro.  I checked the seasoning and served.  I drizzled the garlic oil over and put a lime wedge on the side of the bowl.


This was surprisingly sublime!!!  I would pay for this in a restaurant, it was that good.  It reminded me of a "laksa" soup.  You could taste each flavor individually which really showed how just a few ingredients can be over the top great.  The heat was present, but was a slow heat that crept up and did not overpower at all.  The taste was divine.  This is a keeper!  I can't wait to use the rest of the curry paste on something else.




No comments:

Post a Comment