Monday, February 17, 2020

Singapore Fried Curry Noodles

When I was in my 20's if I got "Chinese Food" delivery, I always, always, always ordered Singapore fried noodles - loved the curry and the thin noodles.  I rarely do anymore as there are many other chowmein noodles dishes I prefer though every now and then, I have them for "old times sake".  Making it homemade sounded like a nice challenge for myself... This recipe popped up on my news feed and I decided to give it a go, adapting it for my likes.  I headed to the Asian market.  I picked up the Shaoxing wine @ $1.79 for a 600 ml bottle.  I also grabbed the BBQ pork and noodles @ $1.29.


Needless to say, this is a mise en place first recipe.  All stir-fry dishes are as it's such a quick process, everything should be ready to go, there is no time to stop and chop...




There is a lot of prep work for this dish.  In fact, I lined it all up and in order so I wouldn't forget anything as I went along.  I mixed the sauce and set it aside.


What I used:

Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Red Boat fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
Stir-fry:
  • 300 grams white prawns, shelled, deveined, and rinsed under cold water (mine were 16-20 ct, I sliced them in half)
  • Avocado oil, as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon Red Boat fish sauce
  • 250 grams dried rice stick noodles
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 eggs, beaten with shake of kosher salt
  • 1/2 pound Chinese char siu (BBQ pork), cut into thin strips
  • 1 small onion, halved and very thinly sliced
  • 1 Serrano pepper, stem removed, halved and sliced thinly lengthwise keeping seeds and innards
  • 1 orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and julienned
  • 1/2 lb sugar snap peas, strings removed and halved on bias
  • 1 medium carrot, julienned
  • 3 teaspoons Madras curry powder, divided
  • 4 scallions, sliced thinly on bias
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil


Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Add a dash of oil and 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce. Mix well and put in the refrigerator.


Place rice noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Rinse noodles in a colander, then drain well. Using scissors, cut the noodles in half.


Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat, tilting to swirl oil, until smoking hot. Add eggs and scramble softly until just set.  Remove to plate and set aside.


Wipe pan clean if needed. Return to high heat, add oil and heat. Add onion, garlic and Serrano pepper and continue to stir-fry until onions are soft. Add red bell pepper, carrots and snow peas and stir until veggies are tender crisp.


Add BBQ pork.  Add shrimp and 1 teaspoon curry powder.  Stir-fry until shrimps are just cooked through.  Empty pan contents onto plate with eggs.


Wipe the pan clean again if needed. Heat oil over high heat. Add the noodles and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the sauce and remaining curry powder. Stir until the curry powder is evenly distributed and all noodles are coated with it.


Return egg, shrimp, pork, and vegetables and stir-fry until everything is evenly mixed.  Add green onions, drizzle with sesame oil, stir well, and serve.


Wow, this was SPICY!!!  That Serrano did its job!  I've only had it this spicy when restaurants use the red Thai chilies in it.  That being said, the pork, snap peas and carrots were all sweet and gave it balance.  This was extremely delicious!  We loved it.  Noodles were perfect and the curry makes this dish what it is.  Definitely a success.  😋


No comments:

Post a Comment