Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Avgolemono (Greek Lemon Chicken) Soup

Hard to believe I've never made this before.  I love all egg drop soups.  Italian Stracciatella and this Asian one that I've made before.  Time to try Greek tonight.  I love this one as it's so creamy without having any dairy in it.  I garnished my sons with chives as he despises dill.

  • 2 cups rotisserie chicken, cut into bite size pieces
  • 6 cups organic low-sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup orzo
  • 1 onion, diced
  • Pinch of crushed chili flakes, to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 free range large eggs
  • 142 grams container organic baby spinach
  • 1 yellow carrot, peeled and diced small
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of fresh dill, chopped finely
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 lemons, freshly squeezed
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Saute the onion, chili flakes and carrot in olive oil.  


When soft, add the garlic.  Pour in the broth and bay leaf.  Season with S&P.  Add the orzo and cook until done (package directions).  Remove bay leaf. 


Whisk the eggs and lemon juice and until really well combined and frothy.  While whisking, pour a ladle of hot simmering soup in slowly.  Keep whisking until all of it is combined well.  This is to ensure the eggs don't scramble.  Pour mixture into soup pot and stir until creamy.  


Add in the spinach and chicken and heat back up to a simmer.  Add dill (I took my son's soup out before I did this).  Serve, garnishing with chives or dill or whatever herb you like.  


The dill and lemon is what makes this soup in my opinion, but I may have overdone the lemon a little.  It kind of overpowered all.  I'd start with 1 lemon next time and taste first!  Besides that, it was tasty and creamy and we enjoyed it.  I liked the little amount of orzo too.  I've had this in restaurants where the soup is so thick from rice that it's more like a porridge.  I wanted mine thin and it was fine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment