Monday, August 31, 2020

Oven Cheese Grits

I saw this on food t.v. and had to give it a try.  It looked so easy and most times I stand stirring over the stove like a slave when I make grits.  Of course I used my stash of Anson Mills stone-ground grits for this.  On the show I watched, they made it for brunch with an egg on top.  I made breakfast for dinner and served this with eggs on top and fried ham with sourdough toast on the side.

  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup stone-ground grits (not instant!)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup old cheddar, grated
  • 1 cup Beemster Gouda (our fave!), grated and a bit for garnish



Heat oven to 350°F.  Add the boiling hot chicken stock, grits, cheeses and S&P to large baking dish (coated with cooking spray) and whisk to combine. 


Bake, stirring every 30 minutes until the grits have thickened and absorbed the stock, about 1 hour and a half.  Yours may be different depending on the grits you use, so just watch.  


Remove the grits from the oven and whisk in the sour cream and butter to finish and loosen the grits. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.  I cracked some more pepper, otherwise perfect.  Serve.


I broke my sons over easy eggs for the picture.  I just had a plate of grits and ham steak.  


We loved the grits.  Next time I'd change it to 5 cups of liquid as I think that would have been enough and maybe cooked a bit quicker.  Other than that, this take on the recipe was a winner, and easy to put together.  Absolutely delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment