Friday, November 13, 2020

Egg Foo Yung

I loves me some good Egg Foo Yung.  I find it really hit/miss in ordering take out for it where I live.  Truth is I can't find a restaurant I like it at anymore.  I was watching food t.v. and saw this and it looked fantastic.  So, I had to try and make it though I edited to my likings.  And hey, I got a new wok today!

  • 1 cup organic low-sodium (Better than Bouillon) chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce 
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese Shaoxing Wine
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 4 Chinese sausages (lap cheong), sliced thinly and fried

  • 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped and for garnish
  • 1 cup bean sprouts
  • 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 cup grated carrot
  • 1 cup of thinly sliced cabbage
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger on microplane
  • 3 scallions, sliced on the bias
  • 1 garlic clove, grated 
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Egg whites, equivalent to 4 eggs, lightly beaten with the eggs
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
  • Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish 

Bring the chicken stock. oyster and hoisin sauces to a simmer in a small saucepan. Whisk 1 tablespoon water into the cornstarch in a small bowl. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce, then return to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Keep warm.


Mix the sausage, cilantro, bean sprouts, cabbage, onion, carrots, soy sauce, ginger, scallions and garlic together in a large bowl mixing until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add the whisked eggs/whites to the sausage mixture and combine.


Heat a large non-stick wok over high heat. Cooking in batches, add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 cup of the egg mixture to the wok. 


Rotate the pan in a circular motion to make a pancake and flip if necessary to cook the center until cooked, about 5 minutes per pancake. 


Serve with desired amount of sauce.  Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro.  


For a first attempt, I didn't do too bad.  I should have sliced the onion and cabbage thinner.  I forgot to put mushrooms in and I really wanted those.  This really tasted like a fresh vegetable omelet with Asian flair.  And I loved lightening the cholesterol by using half egg whites instead of 8 whole eggs.  The other thing I would do different is instead of mixing the eggs with the veggies, I would stir-fry the veg first and then add the eggs to finish.  That would cook them to your preference.  Mine were slightly undercooked by following his recipe.

As far as the sauce goes, it was almost perfect.  Next time I'd omit the hoisin sauce all together as I didn't like the sweetness from it.  I'd stick with just the oyster sauce; that's just my own personal taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment