Thursday, November 26, 2020

Kale Dip

I think everyone remembers the infamous "Spinach Dip" with Knorr Vegetable Soup mix, well this is it, but with kale.  I saw reference to it and literally have not made it for years and years.  It was time to have it again.  I couldn't get frozen spinach so switched it up with kale.  I also didn't receive a whole sourdough loaf in my grocery order, I got a sliced one, so I didn't serve it inside the hollowed out boule like the "old days"...Here's how I made mine:

  • 1 package "Knorr® Vegetable soup mix" (I crush mine in the package with a mallet which was a tip I learned back in the day, as it's a seasoning for this)
  • 10 ounces frozen, cooked chopped kale, squeezed dry (I nuked mine for 2 minutes)
  • 1 cup sour cream 
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, drained, patted dry and chopped fine dice.  Below is before they were chopped.
  • 6 green onions, sliced
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • "Tabasco" sauce, to taste (I like it "zippy")

I always used to squish the liquid out of my spinach between two plates so that's what I did today though the kale was not as liquidy as those frozen blocks of spinach used to be.  The plate squish brought the moisture to the top.  A good pat between a bunch of paper towels took care of it.  As the recipe says:  Combine all ingredients and chill about 2 hours minimum. Serve with your favorite dippers to your favorite people.  I mixed the dip up in the container that would store it in the fridge.  I doled out servings as needed.


I can always remember everyone going for this at potlucks, including myself - going back for one more bite, over and over and over again.  Now days veggie sticks would be the way to go for dipping, but fresh sourdough bread is really the cat's meow for this. 


I made this in the morning.  I had to sample it after it was done and it tasted just as I remember.  So yummy and addictive.  The water chestnuts give a nice crunch that works so well in it.  I love the green onion flavor and kale is the new spinach, isn't it?  And then I went back to the fridge for more...


No comments:

Post a Comment