Saturday, June 5, 2021

Instant Pot: Chinese Sticky Rice

I used the cooking method from this recipe.  I had "lap cheong" (Chinese sausage) in the fridge and I've always wanted to make this dish but never have.  I had dried shiitakes as I hope to make my own "umami" seasoning one day and I had dried shrimp too...After reading the comments, I was nervous as there were a lot "burnt" issues, but I guess we'd see... What I used:

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons dried shrimp, soaked in 1/4 cup boiling water then roughly chopped, both shrimp & water into instant pot
  • 18 dried mini-shiitake mushrooms, soaked in a cup of boiling water, then sliced thinly, (1/4 cup of water reserved for instant pot)
  • 227 ml can sliced water chestnuts, drained & minced
  • 2 & 1/2 cups glutinous sweet rice
  • 1 stalk of celery, sliced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 6 links Chinese sausage (lap cheong), sliced
  • 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine
  • 2 cups "Better than Bouillon" organic, low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • Dash of sesame oil
  • White pepper, to taste
  • Organic green onions, sliced for garnish
  • Organic cilantro, chopped coarsely for garnish




I hit the sauté button on the instant pot and put in the butter.  When melted I added the onion, celery and mushrooms.  When soft, the sausage slices went in and I stirred until they were crispy.  


I deglazed with the wine, scraping the bottom until it was gone.  Finally I combined the rice and tried to coat it in the fats from the pot and turned off "saute".  


Everything remaining went in next except the cilantro and green onions.  I mixed it well.  


I put the lid on, sealed the lid and crossed my fingers.  🤞  I set to manual, high power for 12 minutes.  


Like a lot of the comments said, it didn't come to pressure.  The pin never popped up and mine just started to count down so I didn't even know what was happening.  When done, I vented and obviously there was no quick release to be done.  Below is what it looked like after I stirred it, but the rice was still crunchy.  


So, I used the rice setting and it went for 12 more minutes but didn't come to pressure again.  However, it was cooked this time when I opened the lid.  I for sure wouldn't advise using the cooking method from the recipe I linked to at the top of this page depending on your Instant Pot.  In my 6 qt. IP-Duo, it didn't work.   I read a review that said to just use the rice setting for 12 minutes and that worked for her.  I fluffed the rice and served garnished with green onions & cilantro.  Below, you can see there was a layer stuck to the bottom as well.  (I don't think you're supposed to have "Socarrat" like paella?...)


All that being said, it did taste like sticky rice you get at dim sum inside lotus leaf.  Great flavor and I loved the water chestnut crunches and the sausage was mouth-watering good.  I'm going to search around for other Instant pot methods for making this but at least the rice was edible and tasty.  


No comments:

Post a Comment