Sunday, July 11, 2021

Sautéed Callaloo

At the farmer's market yesterday I stumbled across these greens called "Callaloo".  It was the first time I've ever heard of them, that I remember.  With a name like that, how could I resist?  The vendor said it was similar to spinach and I could use it in the same way.  He mentioned when a Jamaican food truck was on site at the market, they lost their minds when they saw this green...sweet memories of home ❤.  I perused recipes, it's a Carribean green. I decided I would just saute it and see what it was like.  I didn't have a "Scotch Bonnet" pepper or Habanero even, so I used Serrano.  

  • 1 onion, diced
  • 6 organic cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 large bunch organic Callaloo greens
  • 1 Serrano pepper, quartered lengthwise & sliced thinly with seeds & innards intact
  • Organic extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • Tablespoon bacon fat
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste


It was a large bunch so I washed it in the sink.  I ran it all through the salad spinner so I could get most the water off.  I trimmed off any ends that felt tough and then roughly chopped it.  


I sautéed the onion, garlic, Serrano in oil and bacon fat until soft in my non-stick wok.  


Then I added in the greens and let them go until wilted down.  I seasoned with S&P, tossed and served.  


I love all greens so it would be hard for me not to like this.  That being said, like kale, I think I should have removed the stems, all of them.  I could still palette them but they had a crunch and were fibrous.  I would have cooked longer with maybe some broth if I knew?  


Next time, I'd strip those stems down and think it would be delish if creamed, even finished with Boursin or cream cheese.  The seasoning was bang on and the Serrano gave perfect heat.  I'd like a second shot at this green if I encounter another chance.  And if/when(?) I get back to the Caribbean, I'll be searching this out...


P.S.  I served this with pulled pork (crock pot) on brioche buns and homemade "Memphis" slaw which came out fantastic!  

No comments:

Post a Comment