Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Cold Spicy Kimchi Noodles (Bibim Guksu)

Yay!  I actually had company for lunch today with a friend who likes spicy food and also eats healthy.  We ate outside, but this is progress and plenty of time past 2nd vaccines!  I thought I'd make some kind of salad, an upscale salad.  I looked at a lot of different recipes and based mine on this one.  The bold italic text is the sauce (Bibim):

  • 300 grams Buckwheat soba noodles, cooked to package directions 
  • 300 grams kimchi, chopped coarsely
  • 1 clove garlic, minced through garlic press
  • 1 inch nub ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 Serrano pepper, sliced thinly with seeds/stems intact
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili paste)
  • 1 tablespoon organic brown miso paste
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon tōgarashi (Japanese 7 spice) powder 
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • 1 teaspoon "Red Boat" fish sauce
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Cherry tomatoes, halved (3 per dish)
  • 1 organic cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and sliced thin
  • 3 green onions, sliced thinly
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced in strips
  • 6 radishes, sliced thinly
  • 3 "ramen" eggs, halved
  • Organic cilantro, chopped coarsely, for garnish
  • Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
  • 1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving

I prepared the noodles and let sit in ice water until ready to use.  I made the sauce early morning so I wasn't rushing around to get lunch together.  


I put that in the fridge until ready to serve.  A quick taste test told me it was hot though full of flavor!  🌶  I also did the eggs early morning (I was so happy they were easy to peel!).



I washed & sliced all the veggies, which was enough work for lunch prep with the noodles.  


Time to plate.  I used big pasta bowls for serving.  I drained and tossed the noodles with the sauce, coating evenly.  I dished them into each bowl.  I laid tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, green onions, radishes, egg halves over top (and egg rolls).  I sprinkled with cilantro and sesame seeds garnishing with lime wedges.  


Both bowls were finished so I'd say it was good!  Son loved it and said he found the spice right.  I found it a bit lacking in heat all considered but I did love the dish itself.  Mmm good and delightful company made this a most enjoyable afternoon!!!  And my company was like good food, soothing to the soul just by being genuine!

No comments:

Post a Comment