Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Pasta e Fagioli Soup

I had an Italian boyfriend for a period of time and this title would come up in conversations (probably why I've never made it before, lol).  Anyway, I was craving hamburger soup but instead of my usual, I decided to give this a try.   What I used:

  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 cup Ditalini pasta, cooked 
  • Organic extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 stalks carrot, sliced
  • 3 leeks, washed well and sliced
  • 398 ml low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 398 ml low-sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 16 oz "Bianco DiNapoli" crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 398 ml can whole peeled cherry tomatoes
  • Parmesan rind
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Fresh oregano, tied in twine bundle
  • Fresh basil, tied in twine bundle
  • Fresh thyme, tied in twine bundle
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for garnish
  • Fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped for garnish

I started by sautéing all the vegetables until soft and then added in the turkey.  When browned I added everything else in except the pasta.  


I simmered this covered for 45 minutes.  


I added the cooked pasta and simmered again for 15 minutes.  I removed the herb bundle, bay leaf and Parmesan rind.  I served with more cheese and parsley.


Fantastic, we thought!  Everything was just very tasty to the palette.  Comfort food for sure.  



No comments:

Post a Comment