Sunday, July 24, 2022

Pit Boss: Smoked Chuck Roast (Poor Man's Brisket)

Smokers call this "Poor Man's Brisket".  I'm chicken to try smoking a brisket.  I know I will one day, but I thought I'd try this first.  I'm not sure how much this weighed but I'd guess 4 lbs?  I put it on at 9 am at 225°F.  My idea was to get to 190°F if it was probe tender, take it out and then let it rest for an hour at least.  I had it laid out on a rack on sheet pan.  

I've been heavy handed with my seasoning lately so all I sprinkled on this was kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and granulated garlic on all sides, overnight.  SPG.  That's it.  I planned to spritz it with coffee every half hour after the 2 hour mark.  I put the probe in, closed the lid and didn't check until spritzeroo time.  3 hours in I put in a pie plate of quartered, sliced onions.  These were tossed in a little olive oil and S&P.  Below is the spritz at the 4 hour mark and it's here I poured a cup of water into the sheet pan, just in case it needed some moisture.  Internal temp was 140°F:

 

Seven hours later at 4 pm, the temp was only 150°F, below:  

I had to crank it to 350°F to finish as we had to have dinner at 6 pm and I needed it to rest.  At 4:45 it was 170°F and probe tender.  I took it into the kitchen and covered the tray with tinfoil, loosely tented to rest.  

I left it for an hour.  I fried my onions to caramelize them while I was waiting.  

The smoke ring was awesome and the flavor of the beef was fantastic along with the coffee taste being delicious.  That being said, the meat was dry and the fat throughout didn't render or tenderize and was inedible.  Also, the bark was tough too.  I guess it's because I couldn't wait anymore and cranked it?  But geez, 7 hours is crazy for such a small roast and then nowhere near close to being ready.  I'm going to do the exact same thing as I have another one in the freezer except I'm going to do it without needing it for dinner.  It'll be for the next day so I'll let it finish the smoke as it should.  I'll also line my sheet pan with foil next time, it's still soaking in the sink and two S.O.S. pads down so far...💪  Lastly, I'm starting at 250°F next time!  All these Pit Boss posts are my journal of learning...

We had beef dips for dinner.  Below has the smoked onions added.


No comments:

Post a Comment