Friday, August 5, 2022

Pit Boss: Reverse Sear Tomahawk Ribeye

I asked my son to pick this up at Costco for me and he brought a beastly hunk of meat home!  It went in the freezer until a couple days ago. I was preparing this as a thank you to a friend for setting up my new garden this year.  She did an amazing job and made me so happy with my new yard. πŸ˜πŸ’œ

This was 3 & 1/2 lbs and is the biggest steak I've ever prepared.  I had a simple plan, but so far hardly any of my "smoker" plans have worked out perfectly.  Today I would start at 250°F,  pull it off at 120°F.  Crank the heat to HIGH and open the grate plate.  Sear it off with some nice grill marks and pull it off at 130°F for a nice rest to medium-rare at 135°F.  Mmmm, sounds good when I write it out, lol...  🀞🀞🀞🀞🀞❗

I massaged it with Traeger "Blackened Saskatchewan Dry Rub" covering every inch/side of it.  

Since I have bought this seasoning, every other one has sat on the shelf untouched.  I am having a moment with it.  πŸ₯° I put the Flintstone steak on a rack over a sheet pan and left it covered in plastic wrap in the fridge overnight.  I took this out one hour early to let it come to room temperature.  OK, here we go, wish me luck!  

I started at 9 am.  Figured at worst, I'd just have to grill longer if it didn't get to 120°F in my 3 hour allotted time window.  At around 11 am, the PB probe said 118°F , but my "ThermaPro" said 108°F  so I left it alone and decided I'd just rely on my external probe.  I've done perfect Tomahawk's by grilling directly on my old propane grill.  This was my first time trying to smoke and reverse sear one.

Here was today's menu:


Appy:

  • Beet, Goat Cheese Salad, Napoleon Style

EntrΓ©e:

  • Smoked/Seared Tomahawk Steak seasoned with "Traeger Blackened Saskatchewan Dry Rub"

  • Anchovy Herb Butter (unsalted!): (anchovies, lemon & zest, garlic, chives, curly parsley (so underrated!), fresh cracked pepper)
  • Smoked Haricot Vert with Olive Oil & "Everything Bagel Seasoning"
  • Roasted New Warba Potatoes in Butter, Olive Oil, Red Onion, "Traeger Blackened Saskatchewan Dry Rub" and Chives from my garden 



Dessert:

  • Watermelon Granita with Lime and Fresh Mint from my garden


So, everyone was extremely happy with my efforts.  The Pit Boss got an erH error and shut down which I see after googling was most likely overheating.  Maybe next time I won't crank it that high for the sear considering how fatty the steak is?  Steak was on fire - literally, but I moved it and everyone actually loved the flamed char but it was rarer than I would have liked.  However, it was the first thing gone on all the plates, so that speaks for itself...I really enjoyed the company and the day and I was not too hard on myself grading the food I put out.  I'd call it a success!  πŸ₯°

No comments:

Post a Comment