Thursday, September 8, 2022

1905 Salad

It's Tomato Season!!! YAY!!!!  🍅  I've had the pleasure of dining at Chef Art Smith's restaurant in WDW Downtown Disney and it was a true pleasure.  I follow it on social media and saw this:  "ART-fully inspired, our NEW 1981 Salad is nearly 40 years in the making. An ode to Chef Art Smith's first cast role in the Magic Kingdom College Program in 1981, our take on the classic Tampa salad features chopped iceberg and spring mix lettuce, honey ham, roasted artichoke, tomato, Swiss cheese, and Spanish olives. However, the real secret is in the sauce. Worcestershire is combined with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and vinegar, making this new menu option tastebud magic in every bite! 🍴"

I had to make it!  It sounded fantastic.  I found the original recipe here and it was all I needed.  What I used today:

  • 1 head organic iceberg lettuce, sliced into 1½" x 1½" pieces
  • 2 handfuls organic baby spinach
  • 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into sixteenths
  • 2 large slices baked ham, diced (may substitute turkey or shrimp)  I meant to julienne the ham but diced it on auto-pilot
  • 1 cup (2?) "Emmentaler" Swiss cheese, julienned 1" x ⅛"
  • 1/2 cup green Spanish olives (Manzanilla) 
  • 1 cup "1905" Dressing (recipe below)
  • 1 cup Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese, grated
  • 2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced


Combine lettuce, spinach, tomato, ham, Swiss cheese and olives in a large salad bowl. Before serving, add "1905" Dressing, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire and the juice of 1 lemon. Toss well and serve immediately. Makes 2 full salads or 4 side salads.


"1905" Dressing Recipe
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced thorough garlic press
  • 2 teaspoons dried Greek oregano
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste



Mix olive oil, garlic and oregano in a bowl. Stir in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. For best results, prepare 1 to 2 days in advance and refrigerate. 


I served this with Pa amb tomàquet.  Surprisingly I didn't love this!  I thought for sure I would, especially when the lemon, zest and Worcestershire sauce came into play.  I liked the dressing and salad but I've made much better dressings and salad creations.  Even with my summer tomato beauties, they couldn't save it and make it a mouth watering dish.  I doubt I'd make it again, but if I'm ever in Tampa I would for sure go to Columbia restaurant and give it a try.  Same if I get to Art Smith's restaurant in Downtown Disney again, I'd try it there too.  




No comments:

Post a Comment