Saturday, September 17, 2022

Cinnamon Spiced Apple Pecan Bread

I was making three loaves today, two for friends and one for home.  I expected it but just regular "Granny Smith" and "Honeycrisp" apples were $9 for 6 apples at the grocery store and they weren't even organic!  OUCH.  I looked at slew of different recipes and liked this one so chose it.  I just tripled the recipe below:

  • 2 large baking apples, peeled, cored and grated
  • 2 tablespoons organic granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons ground Celylon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 & 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
  • 2 large organic eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup pecans, lightly crushed in baggie with mallet


I preheated the oven to 350°F  and coated cooking spray on 3 loaf tins.  I peeled and cored the apples, then grated them into a large bowl.  


I added in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and sugars.  I mixed well and let sit for about 15 minutes.


Separately I whisked the eggs in bowl and in another the flour, baking soda and powder.  I added the eggs, oil and extracts into the apples and combined well.  Then the flour mixture went in and I folded that until incorporated.  The nuts went in last and one final mix.  


I poured these into the pans and put them in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes and an inserted toothpick came out clean.  I rested them on racks and then when cool enough, took them out of the pans and let them cool fully.  


You know, I was thinking that I don't know why when I'm cooking for someone else I don't use tried and true recipes?  Why experiment with a recipe I've never tried and hope for the best when wanting to impress someone?  😆


Anyway, there wasn't any need to worry as it tasted really good, I even had to eat a slice to make sure!  It was nice that we had a loaf that I could sample from before sending out the others.  It was perfectly sweet with cinnamon and apple fragrance/taste and the nuts gave a great texture contrast.  I'd make it again!  Two thumbs up from my son as well.  👍👍  A nice treat for fall season.

No comments:

Post a Comment