Monday, November 21, 2022

Bucatini Carbonara

I have never made this in life before.  I made this for my son after I talked him out of eating it on vacation.  I owed it to him.  😉

  • 1/2 lb (?) no-nitrate bacon and pancetta, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb bucatini noodles, cooked in salted water
  • 4 organic eggs, beaten
  • 1.5 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Italian parsley, chopped, for garnish
I sautéed the bacon and pancetta until crisp with the garlic added in last minute.  I scooped it all out to a big bowl.


I beat the eggs and folded about a 3/4 cup of cheese in.  I boiled the pasta till al dente and lifted it out with tongs into the bacon bowl.  I mixed until combined.  


I crossed my fingers and prayed for no curdling as I mixed the eggs in.  I did take a little pasta water a few times and whisked it into the eggs to temper them...then I tossed the mixture with the pasta praying they would not scramble.  I put a little more pasta water in the sauce till everything looked creamy.  


I plated and topped with more cheese, fresh cracked pepper and parsley.


I tried garlic because I was curious about it though it's not in most recipes.  I'd probably leave it out next time.  This was really simple and simple equals delicious.  Son was happy and that's why I made this.  I'd make it again for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment