Friday, December 16, 2022

Homemade Christmas Chex Mix

I made this for my neighbors and a few friends I'd be seeing up to the week of Christmas.  I looked at other people's recipes and additions and saw that most recommended upping the spices and butter.  I kept mine basic this year but if I was making it for ourselves, I'd choose spicier add-ins like Sriracha almonds and jalapeno bagel bites, etc.  What I used:

  • 3 cups rice "Chex" cereal
  • 3 cups "Crispix" cereal
  • 2 cups mini pretzels
  • 2 cups mixed salted nuts (I added some pistachios into mine)
  • 2 cups mini cheese bagel bites
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic granules
  • 2 teaspoons seasoning salt

I preheated the oven to 250°F and poured the first 5 ingredients into a enamel coated roasting pan.  I stirred until well combined.  



I melted the butter in a measuring cup in the microwave, then I added the remaining ingredients and whisked.  I poured this over the cereal mixture and tried to combine it until each piece was coated.


This went in the oven for an hour.  I set the timer for 15 minutes four times and stirred each time it went off.


I let it cool, then put into Christmas tins, using plastic wrap to try and make it air-tight.  


UGH, this recipe only made enough for two tins and I needed six!!!  So, rinse and repeat I guess.  It tasted good - addictive once you start on it.  Luckily I have time to make more before I see my other Christmas friends.  If I make this again; reminder to self:  buy smaller tins.  😉🎄❄

No comments:

Post a Comment