Protein experiment. I have trouble meeting protein goals and was craving pizza so this seemed like a no brainer. I saw someone do it on YouTube though they weren't thrilled with the outcome. So, I'm not expecting much...I guess no expectations are better than high ones?
- 2 lbs Extra Lean Ground Chicken
- 1 Large Organic Egg (for binding)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (essential to give the meat a dry, dough-like texture)
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, grated (essential to give the meat a dry, dough-like texture)
- 100 grams Dry Pepperoni Cups
- 2 cups (224 grams) Low-moisture Mozzarella Cheese, grated, for topping
- Organic Tomato Sauce (I used Kirkland), as needed, about half the can
- Garlic granules, Oregano, to taste for Chicken Mix
- Pizza Seasoning, Crushed Red Chili Peppers, to taste for pizza topping
- Kosher salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper, to taste
- Mushrooms, sliced (use any veggies you want. I only put on half as my son doesn't like them on his pizza. I only sliced 4 shrooms for my side, lol)
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
In a large bowl, mix the 2 lbs of ground chicken breast, 1 large egg, 1/4 cup each of grated parmesan & cheddar, garlic granules, S&P and oregano. Mix well until it forms a uniform, paste-like dough.
Place the 2 lbs of chicken mixture in the center and press it out flat into a half-size sheet pan: (mine is 17" x 12", aiming for about 1/4-inch thickness. Use fingers to build up a slight "rim" or lip around the entire edge of the chicken dough. This creates a wall to trap sauce and cheese so they don't slide off.
Par-bake the empty crust for 15 - 20 minutes until the edges are golden and firm. Check and blot any moisture about half way through. Pull the tray out of the oven and use a wadded-up paper towel to blot up any remaining liquid around the crust before adding toppings, then add sauce, seasoning, cheese and toppings.
Bake again for up to 10 minutes, checking at 5 minutes. Mine took 10. I broiled for a couple minutes - well 3 exactly, just to see if I could make the cheese browner though the pep cups were curled already.
For the Win: I made this pizza based on 4 servings and it was a whopping 75 grams of protein per piece in estimation and 600 calories! But 8 pieces would be more standard in size/servings. This was my first and only meal of the day so I ate half the pizza, over a couple hours or more. A win for me, 150 grams of protein, only 1200 calories AND STUFFED, omg... I served with forks/knives as it didn't look like a slice you'd pick up though if you sliced in 8 or 16 pieces, you could easily pick it up and eat it like a slice of pizza.
🥁and now the verdict: OK, straight up, I was hangry so that may reflect in my thoughts. My son ate first and said it tasted like chicken pizza. It was crispy on the bottom and the crust was juicy and flavorful,😋 . It was like pizza toppings on a chicken burger if I can sum up the experience. We both really liked it. It was ridiculously easy to prepare and I'd make it again. Seasoning the chicken well is key here.
No comments:
Post a Comment