Thursday, May 5, 2016

Toad in the Hole

I was thinking of what to make for Cinco de Mayo and I ended up with British "Toad in the Hole".   :) I've made this before and it didn't turn out so well, so I decided it was time to re-visit it.  I used packaged Yorkshire Pudding mix last time.  This time I decided to make it from scratch.  I've been craving sausages lately, so figured this would take care of that itch.  I bought Freden Fine Foods all natural casings and ingredients ( no additives) mild Italian sausage and decided to wrap each one in a thick slice of bacon.  (I read somewhere that bacon fat helps Yorkshires rise to the occasion).  On another day I might have searched for real British banger sausages, but I simply didn't have the time today...

For the Yorkshire Pudding, I have a recipe that is like over 20 years old and handwritten so decided I'd use that.  The key to this recipe is to make sure your batter gets to room temperature - it makes it rise better.  My next decision was to decide if I'd make this in a glass pie dish or in my cast iron pan...I decided to try and conquer my last failure and use the cast iron again, (I have always been successful (except once) with the pie plate).  I greased it down with some avocado oil and set it aside.

Next, I made the Yorkshire mix.  Here is the recipe - I followed all the directions exactly like I used to, which meant letting the milk and eggs come to room temperature first (half hour).
  • 200 grams flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

I stirred the salt and flour and then made a well in the middle.  Then I added:
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
I beat until fluffy and then added two eggs (I always use free range eggs).  I beat again until there were large bubbles on the surface and then covered it with saran and put it into the fridge for an hour.


I set my timer.  When the Yorkshire mix went into the fridge, I was still debating whether to make homemade onion gravy or use a Knorr package of "brown" gravy.  Obviously I would prefer homemade, I just wasn't sure if I wanted to add the "chopping" factor into the routine tonight...I finally decided to just put the onion in the food processor and in 30 seconds that chore was done.  Homemade gravy coming up.  Why don't I use the food processor more???  I used:
  • 1 large sweet onion, fine dice
  • 1 tablespoon of "Better than Bouillon" 50% lower sodium beef base
  • Fresh cracked pepper
  • Fresh cracked Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1.5 cups of water mixed with a heaping tablespoon of flour and shook up in a jar to make a "slurry" (I use this to make all my gravies - never fails and always is lump free)
I sauteed the onion till soft in unsalted butter, then added the beef base, stirring till mixed and then added the water.  I brought to a boil, then added the slurry, stirring constantly until it was a thickened gravy (about 5 minutes).


Then I set it on the back burner on the lowest minimum heat and covered it, to keep warm.  It tasted delicious - it was fabulous!  I was so happy I didn't use the package.  I knew my absent sous chef son would do all the dishes too - and I had  a lot of them now!

Then I wrapped the sausages in bacon and put them in the cast iron pan.


I preheated the oven to 400°F.  When the timer went off to take out the Yorkshire mix from the fridge, I put the sausages in the oven for 15 minutes and then flipped them for another 15 minutes but turned the heat up to 425°F as the bacon wasn't browning though the sausage was..


I took the sausages out and poured in the Yorkshire mix after beating it one more time.  Back into the oven for 30 more minutes.  NEVER open your oven when Yorkshire batter goes in there.  If you do, it's sure never to rise.  I always turn on the oven light and smile while watching it from the outside window - when it climbs up the sides of the pan.  :)


It came out perfect!!!  My son said it was "comfort food that was beyond comforting".  I honestly don't remember when I've heard him go "mmmm" so much!  He really, really enjoyed this, or he was starving...

That's all you can ask for, isn't it?  That people are smiling and in a blissful, sated, comatose state while eating your food...A great choice for my "British Cinco de Mayo" day...


P.S.  That gravy was freaking awesome and the bacon made this dish over-the-top special!

No comments:

Post a Comment