Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Creamy Chicken, Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup

I made my chicken broth in the crockpot which I learned from Clinton Kelly on "The Chew".  I used two rotisserie chicken carcasses from Costco.  It was ready when I got home from work.  It is really easy and I highly recommend trying it sometime.  I strained it into a pot and started the wild rice in the broth immediately as it takes an hour to cook.  I drained it when done.


Tonight, I used:
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • About 1 lb. or cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • About 1/2 lb. of white mushrooms, sliced
  • Organic tri-coloured baby carrots, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, sliced
  • Leftover rotisserie chicken, chopped
  • 1 cup Wild Rice (uncooked)
  • About a cup of Half & Half Cream
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • Olive oil
  • Fresh rosemary, stripped from stalk and chopped
  • Fresh sage, chiffonade
  • Fresh thyme (bundled with twine)
  • Fresh parsley, chiffonade
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
I did my veggie chopping.  Chop, chop, chop...below are the carrots:


I then sauteed the onion, mushrooms, carrots and celery until soft (full pot starting off - it reduced to a third of that in the picture below).


I then added the flour and cooked it out.  Next went in the stock, the herbs, the rice and the chicken.  I stirred at a boil until it thickened slightly.

I covered it and then continued to simmer it for about a half hour.  I stirred in the cream, took out the thyme bundle, simmered for 10 more minutes and served.



It came out quite tasty.  I loved all the mushrooms, that was my favourite part.  Lots of leftovers, lots going to work tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment