Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Ziti with Asparagus & Prosciutto

I'm not sure where I got this recipe.  I've had it over 20 years now - handwritten.  I make this rarely as pasta doesn't make it into my rotation very often, but when I do, I always enjoy it.  It is fresh and is well suited for Spring.  I don't think I've ever seen ziti in regular big chain grocery stores, but I get it at Famous Foods.  Here are the ingredients from my notes:

  • 24 asparagus spears (1 & 1/2 lbs), cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 & 1/2 lbs vine ripe roma tomatoes, diced
  • 6 slices (1/4 lb) prosciutto, coarsely chopped
  • Fresh basil, sliced chiffonade
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3/4 lb ziti
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (to taste)
  • Freshly cracked pepper
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
The first step was to get all the Mise en place done.  I chopped all the veggies, basil, garlic, prosciutto and grated the cheese (from Costco).




I cut the asparagus and then blanched it in boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes.  I fished them out with a strainer and then plunged them into bowl of ice water.


I kept the water for the pasta.  The ziti went in for 10 minutes.


While that was going on, I heated some olive oil, tossed in the garlic stirring but not letting it get brown.  Then I added in the tomatoes, prosciutto and asparagus.  When the pasta was ready, I drained it and added it too.  I stirred, seasoned with pepper and added about a cup of Parm cheese and all the basil.  I forgot to add in the butter, unfortunately.  I topped again with more Parm cheese.


Hmmm, I enjoyed this...it wasn't as good as I remember, but it was okay.  I can't even remember how long it is since I made it last, but I probably won't rush to make it again any time soon.

2 comments: