Friday, April 15, 2016

Ahi Tuna Poké

I learned of this treasure called "Poké" in Hawaii.  I tried several different types while visiting over many trips, but liked the Ahi Tuna one the best.  I have been craving this like crazy lately and decided I wanted to make this at home.  At IGA, I see some pretty good looking Ahi at times, though, "previously frozen".  I was looking at it earlier this week and the Meat/Seafood dept. manager was beside me laying out the seafood.  I asked him if I could eat the Ahi raw?  He told me that "NO", not from the case (all of the seafood laying on ice) as there may be cross contamination, but if I wanted, he would thaw some for me and slice it for me so I could have sashimi, or tartar - a.k.a. POKE!  He told me to give him a days notice.  I told him I would request for Friday then and come back.  He told me no problem.  I went back on Friday and sure enough, he had put a piece aside for me and told his staff to expect me.  I think "he who serverd me" overcharged me?  It was $3.99 per 100 grams.  What I bought was 1.23 lbs.  I don't know how to figure it out....grrrr....  Everything in my mind is half pounds and ounces and kilograms and milligrams on the other side since we switched in Canada to metric - somewhere around ending elementary school and starting high school for me.  I never adapted to the metric system.  I have to google translate it all the time.  I still do the temperature in Fahrenheit.  I have no idea what it is in Celsius. I have no idea what kilograms are - I use pounds still.  Anyway, I think it should have cost about $22 with my google calculations.  :P


I asked the guy who served me why it was so dark.  He assured me it was fine and that it comes in different colours sometimes.  I looked at him skeptically and then asked if he was sure I could eat this raw.  He smiled and said, "Hopefully you will be ok.  Lots of people eat it raw and they come back here for more....I think".  I really hope he was joking as that's how I took it.  ;)  He told me it was still partially frozen and I could wait till tomorrow if I wanted.  It was getting made tonight!  I read that there is a 2 day fridge life on raw tuna.  Anyway, if I never write another food post, then you know what happened to me...

I seriously have ZERO knowledge about raw seafood...I looked up and read a little and that if Ahi tuna was "frozen", then parasites were a low risk, so that much I knew/hoped...I also read that "sushi grade" tuna is a misconception to most (including myself)...

So, I used a basic recipe with a couple subs/additions.  I used Sambal Oelek (about a heaping tablespoon as I like it hot) for the spice and I added about a tablespoon of furikake into the bowl as well.  I also garnished with the furikake.  I served it with these veggie chips which I really like and buy at Costco.  The ones I buy are Low Sodium.


I opened the tuna and it smelled fresh like the ocean (thank goodness!), though I stood there and smelled it over and over for a long time.  I sliced it into small cubes, about 1/2" squared.


I chopped the sweet onion very small, minced the garlic and sliced the green onions very thinly.  I grated the ginger with a microplane.  I mixed all the recipe ingredients into the bowl, sealed it with saran wrap and put it in the fridge for 2 hours.  (I tried it after a half hour and it was OMG delicious, I went back 2 or three times, actually!).


It was really dark when I served it, but I did use 1/4 cup of soy and I did let it sit a long time.  It tasted like the poké I remember in Oahu and like some of the tuna tartar I order out now, around town.  Salty, spicy, crunchy with the chips, and with the ingredient add-ins the texture was perfect, I was happy!  My chips were crushed though and in little bits (cupboard abuse!).   I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to be sure it was as good as I think!  Wish me well and "pleasant dreams to me"...   :)

P.S.  I doubt I'll make it again if buying from a big chain grocery store, it was too stressful for me worrying about the tuna quality...but as an edit to this, the next day, this dish was even more delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment