Saturday, April 23, 2016

Creole Jambalaya

New Orleans is my favourite food town, ever.  If you like good eats, it's Paradise!  My best friend asked me if I'd make jambalaya for her and of course I obliged. Her family is unadventurous when it comes to food, so this isn't a dish she would ever make at home.  I have made this dish a few times before, sometimes with a pre-packaged mix, sometimes not.  Tonight I decided to use this recipe from "The Chew".  I've said it before, but I can't find the right andouille sausage here, so I used chorizo instead.  Boneless, skinless chicken breasts were on sale so I used those instead of thighs,  though I would have preferred the thighs.

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut in 1-inch pieces)
  • 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
  • 1 pound Andouille sausage (sliced 1/4-inch rounds)
  • 1 red onion (peeled, finely chopped)
  • 1 cup green bell pepper (finely chopped)
  • 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
  • 3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 2 jalapenos (sliced)
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes (14 ounces)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 cups rice
  • 3-4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup scallions (sliced for garnish)
  • 1/2 cup Italian parsley (chopped for garnish
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

CREOLE SEASONING
  • 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder

Chop, chop, chop and more chopping!  My usual modus operandi.  First round was peppers (1 red, 1 green), onion, celery, jalapeno, parsley, green onions, fresh thyme and alas, garlic!


The parsley and green onions did not go into the bowl.  They were separated and for finishing the dish.


Second round was fresh tomatoes (I used these instead of canned) and decided to add a can of no salt tomato sauce to the recipe.


Third round was the chicken, then the chorizo and lastly the shrimp (peeled them).




FINALLY! Whew!  I had a few cocktail sips (sugar free Tom Collins) in between to cope with the hard labour.  ;)

I seasoned the chicken and shrimp with some Cajun seasoning before I put them in the fridge.

Showtime:  OK, I put some olive oil in the dutch oven and sauteed the chorizo,


I removed it and added the chicken and browned it.


Then all the veggies went in until soft.  I added in all the Cajun seasoning here, with S&P.


I put in the tomatoes, the tomato sauce, chicken broth, rice (white long grain), thyme, bay leaves and the chicken & chorizo.


I brought it to a boil, then covered it.  I stirred and simmered for 20 minutes, stirring often.  I didn't want the rice sticking to the bottom of the pot.


At that time, I put in the shrimp and simmered for 10 more minutes.   Then it was done!  I served and garnished with parsley and green onions.


This turned out very well.  It had a really good kick to it...I jazzed it up with extra cayenne pepper, hot paprika and my favourite Louisiana hot sauce called Crystal.  The shrimps were cooked perfectly and not rubbery.  The best part of the dish for me was the chorizo in it.  I would consider it a success.  My friend said this meal was worth her hour and a half drive out to see me, in bad traffic.  That's high praise!


No comments:

Post a Comment