Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Anchovy Tuna Spaghettini

My co-worker friend gave me this recipe quite some time ago and it's really delicious.  She said it was from her Italian friend's family and passed down, though her friend modified it to add the green onions and parsley.  I modified it too, to add crushed red chilies.
I was so busy at work today,  I didn't even get time to get anything for dinner but when I got home, I realized I had all the ingredients to make this, so that is what I did.  Here is her recipe (cut & pasted) exactly:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 1 can flat anchovies
  • 1 tin of tuna
  • Lots of garlic chopped fine (I used my garlic press - 4 cloves)
  • 1 bunch of green onions
  • 1 bunch of Italian Parsley
  • Olive Oil
  • Spaghettini
  • More tuna if you are making it for more people!
Cover the bottom of a frying pan with Olive Oil.  Probably about a half cup or more.  Cook the Anchovies in the oil and break them up while they cook.  If I'm just making it for myself I put a half tin in.  Use the whole tin if it is for more people.

Once the Anchovies are pretty much dissolved, throw in the garlic and cook it for a few minutes.  Next throw in the tuna and cook it for a few minutes.  Next throw in the chopped up green onion and let it cook for a few minutes.  Throw in the chopped up parsley just before your pasta is cooked and cook it for a minute or so.
Drain the pasta and add the delicious tuna and anchovy mixture.

Some nice Grated Romano Cheese goes well with it along with some ground pepper.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added red chili flakes (about a teaspoon) to mine with the garlic when sauteing.


I used 2 cans of solid white albacore tuna and freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese (my absent sous chef son did this task of grating for me).

So, the prep work needed to be done first, so I did all the chopping, opened tins, etc. and had all my ingredients ready to use.



I started the pasta water and when it began cooking (I heavily salted the water with coarse kosher salt), I went on with the rest of the recipe.

Be warned, the oil will splatter, so be careful.  I had oil splashes all over me and my stove because you use a large amount of it and I used medium-high heat.  You could probably cook it on lower heat, but I wanted to FRY those anchovies, garlic and chilies.  The tuna (because it was packed in water, even though I tried to drain it well) also caused some wild splattering.


When the pasta was done, I put a ladle of the water in the pan. I then drained it.  Next I added the parsley, green onions and spaghettini at the same time.


I tossed this around until everything was well coated.  I plated, seasoned with fresh cracked pepper and LOTS 'O Parm cheese.  I garnished with a little more parsley.


This is a very enjoyable dinner.  I think if you didn't know there was anchovies in there, that you wouldn't guess that there was.  The anchovies give great flavor but it's not fishy in any way and gives a little "somethin' somethin'" and saltiness to it.  Really, this is one of those simple recipes where the short list of ingredients do all the talking.  Soooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment