Saturday, July 23, 2016

Pork Loin Roast with Marsala sauce

I got a great deal on this roast at "No Frills" supermarket.  Below is the roast cut in half and the whole thing cost me $10.00.  The other half went in the freezer for another time.


I didn't want to be too fussy with dinner tonight and found this glaze recipe and it looked good to me.


Basically, I scored the fat on top, diamond style then brushed the whole thing with Dijon mustard.  Then I seasoned with salt & pepper and sprinkled/patted brown sugar over the whole roast.


I set it on a rack of red onion.  I cut and cubed 2 large unpeeled russet potatoes tossed with olive oil and put them in the pan.  I seasoned everything again with S&P.  I put it in a 350°F oven and cooked for about an hour and a half, tossing the potatoes half way through.


For the Marsala sauce I used:
  • Butter & extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick pan
  • Few slices of red onion, diced finely
  • 200 grams cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup of Marsala
  • 1/4 cup of half and half cream
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • Fresh Italian parsley, chopped finely to taste
  • Freshly cracked kosher salt and pepper

I sauteed the onion and mushrooms until soft and cooked.  I added in the flour and cooked it out for a minute or so.  I stirred in the Marsala and lit it on fire.  When the flame went out, I added the chicken stock.  When it had a consistency I liked I added in the S&P, cream and parsley.  


For the veggie, I just used frozen Green Giant peaches & cream corn heated in the microwave with butter and S&P.


The roast was perfectly tender with a nice sweetness on the crust.  The gravy was delicious, the potatoes crisp.  Very comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment