Saturday, July 2, 2016

Sausage with Biscuits & Gravy

Saturday morning breakfast.  I've never made this before.  This long weekend was going to be about comfort food and new recipes it seemed.  All the recipes I looked at were pretty similar - which is, you fry some sausage, add some flour and then some milk.  So, I decided to make mine spicy.  I bought some Johnsonville hot Italian ground sausage.  I really wanted the breakfast sausage but it was sold out, so I didn't have a choice.  For the biscuits, I cheated and used Pillsbury country biscuit dough.

I started by chopping up and seeding a jalapeno.  I did this in a very fine dice.  I also chopped half a small red onion in fine dice and put it all in with the sausage in my cast iron pan.


I preheated the oven for the biscuits.  When the sausage was cooked, I sprinkled 1/3 cup of flour (1/4 cup was what I meant but I grabbed the wrong measuring cup) over it and stirred it in.


Then I added 3 cups of milk and whisked until it boiled and thickened.  I let it boil for a minute, then turned it down to the lowest setting to keep it at a minimal simmer.  I mixed in some fresh herbs chopped chiffonade - a bit of rosemary and sage.


I tasted and seasoned with lots of freshly cracked pepper and kosher salt - as, believe it or not, with all that salty sausage, it was a little bland!  Lastly I added a few shakes of Frank's red hot sauce.  The biscuits were done and I made my son two sunny-side free-range eggs to go on top of his.  I just had the biscuits and gravy.


This was very rich and put me into a food coma.  I pretended not to notice how much sodium was in this dish.  I liked it, but it isn't something I will rush to do again.  This would be great hangover food!

No comments:

Post a Comment