Thursday, December 8, 2016

Manhattan Fish Chowder

I was craving soup and I thought I'd make a fish soup.  I decided to make a spin on Manhattan clam chowder.  I bought some fresh Pacific red snapper and some previously frozen sockeye salmon head (no eyes)/tail pieces that had lots of meat on them - scraps.  The fish cost me under $10 for all of it.  I figured that would do fine for the fish part of the soup.  Basically, after that, the ingredients all came from what was in the fridge/kitchen.  I used:

  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 1 bunch of wild carrots, sliced
  • 2 stalks celery with leaves, sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 3 BIG handfuls of baby spinach
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tetra box of organic Kirkland no salt chicken broth
  • 1 cup no salt tomato sauce
  • 1 bundle of thyme (6 sprigs), tied with twine
  • Freshly cracked pepper
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
  • 6 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
  • 1 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning (I love this stuff!)
  • Handful of fresh cilantro, loosely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
This was a whole lot of chopping!  I got it all done first, so I could just cook afterwards and be finished with prep work.


I put a good tablespoon of olive oil in a dutch oven and sauteed the onions, garlic, green pepper, parsnips, carrots and celery.  I seasoned with S&P.  When soft (about 10 minutes later), I added the wine and stirred until it was almost cooked out.  

I added in the rest of the liquids, tomatoes and all the seasonings/herbs.  At that time I also put in the salmon pieces.  



I brought to a boil, turned it down and I simmered for a half hour.  I had a taste here and I was really happy at this point.  To me it was already delicious.

I took out the salmon pieces,  removed the skin and put the fish back into the soup.  I added the snapper pieces and the spinach.  


I brought to a boil again and simmered for 10 more minutes.  I checked the seasoning and fished out (haha) the thyme bundle & bay leaves.  Then I served.  I garnished with nothing but some more fresh cracked pepper.


Mmmmmm.  This felt like a simple soup, where all the fresh ingredients did the talking.  Parsnips were a great replacement for potatoes.  I lucked out and it exceeded my expectations.  I had two bowls I thought it was so good.  One of those rare times where I love my own cooking...

No comments:

Post a Comment