Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Buttermilk Cornmeal Crusted Basa Fillets

I didn't get out to shop today so tonight was "make a meal with what you can find in the house".  I like catfish, so don't have a problem with basa being its cousin.  However, I do know the controversy on this farmed fish.


The one I chose was farmed responsibly and had the ASC label on the package.  It's not a regular purchase of mine, but I did pick it up solely for the sale price this time ($9).  I generally only buy wild fish except for steelhead trout.  For my side dish, I made wasabi Furikake rice.  Except instead of rice, I used organic ancient grains (white quinoa, millet, red quinoa & buckwheat).  I used veggie stock for it.   I also nuked some Green Giant broccoli & cheese sauce.  For the fish, I used:
  • 1 cup of 1% buttermilk
  • 2 cups of cornmeal
  • 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons Trader Joe's no salt "21 seasoning salute"
  • 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
  • Freshly cracked pepper & kosher salt
I thawed the basa completely, rinsed and then soaked it in the buttermilk (seasoned with S&P, hot sauce & TJ's above).



From the buttermilk to the seasoned cornmeal it went and then onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  The paper was sprayed with "Pam".


I put this in the fridge to let it set for an hour.

I preheated my oven to 400°F.  It went in for 30 minutes and was done.  It came out looking like it did when it went in, just a little browner.  I plated.


This was painless to make and fine for a weeknight.  It was good and I liked the crispy crust of the cornmeal.  I made myself a little homemade tartar with tangy relish, mayo and hot sauce.  I wasn't a fan of the furikake on the grains.  I'll stick to using it on rice or popcorn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment