Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Kung Pao Chicken

My son really likes this stuff and he really doesn't like that much in the way of Chinese food.  I've never made it before, so I thought it was time I did.  I found this recipe and thought it looked good so that is what I went with.  I had most of the ingredients at home so didn't have to shop for much.  I decided to serve it with Tri-color quinoa instead of rice.


To start, I cut up the chicken and let it marinate.


I made the stir-fry sauce next and set aside.  I doubled the sauce, because we like sauce.  I used brown sugar instead of white too.  I whisked it well.

I cut up all the veggies (I did my dice smaller because I'm built in the brain to do it that way and couldn't make them larger).


I used Arbol chilies as I had them in the cupboard.


I did slit them open in the middle so I could release some of the heat.  Even with that, I still added a little "Sambal Oelek" to make it more spicy (about 2 tablespoons) and I added it to the sauce.

I laid out all the mise en place so everything was ready to go in one shot and in order.  My picture below was almost in order...lol.


It all seemed like a lot to remember as I was prepping everything...and the recipe didn't flow well with me.

I got my biggest non-stick pan out which is good for stir-fry.  I heated up avocado oil and put in the chicken.  I stir-fried like the recipe called for (until the exterior is opaque but chicken is still slightly raw in the centre).


I removed it and then added in the veggies, followed by the peanuts.  I didn't clean and wipe out the pan like the recipe said to do after the chicken came out.

I then added in all the aromatics (garlic, ginger, scallions & chilies) and stir-fried for about a minute.  Back went in the chicken and then finally the sauce.


I simmered for about 5 minutes and plated with a half cup of quinoa per serving.


It was very good.  A bit darker than I intended but I guess I may have used to much dark soy in the sauce.  I should have cut bigger dice of the veggies too, but in taste it all was fine.  I'll make again and practice up on the technique.  😄  My son was very happy with the results but I feel it could use a little fine tuning.  And finally, maybe I did make a little too much sauce, it didn't need that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment