Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Lentejas (Mexican Lentil Stew)

I realized how much I liked lentils when I made lentil meatballs on the weekend, that I wanted to try something like a soup next.  I found this recipe, and I made a few edits.  I liked that it had plantain in it and I've always wanted to cook with them.  I only know of one place in town where I can buy them and its an Asian market, though it has a wide variety of items...



I have to admit that the pineapple sounded strange to me though made me curious.  Here's what I used:
  • 1.5 cups dried green lentils
  • 8 cups vegetable stock (I used low sodium "Better than Bouillon")
  • 4 cloves of garlic, 2 smashed with the side of a knife, 2 finely minced
  • 1 white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or other light neutral cooking oil)
  • 4 slices of thick center cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch lardons (I used nitrate free but it wasn't thick cut.  I read it wrong and made them an inch wide)
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 plantain (ripe, green skinned with patches of black), peeled and sliced in rounds
  • 10 ounces of fresh pineapple (about 1/4 of one fruit), cored and chopped into chunks similar in size to your plantain slices (I used canned and drained it, then rinsed all the juice off)
  • 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies (10 oz)
  • 1 bunch of cilantro stems (I tied them with twine) & the rest of the leaves, chopped
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, 1 slit open and whole, the other diced with stems and seeds
  • Leftover roasted carrots and fennel (this was in my fridge and I had to use it up), sliced small
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
I brought the lentils and stock to a boil with the smashed garlic cloves and the diced half of white onion. I lowered the heat and simmered for about a half hour until lentils were tender but not mushy. I drained and reserve the liquid.


I took out the smashed garlic but left the onion. I seasoned the cooked and drained lentils with salt and pepper.  I also added in the roasted veggies I had, here.

In a Dutch oven I put in the vegetable oil over medium heat. Added the bacon and cooked until just  firm but not crisp.  I added the chopped white onion and cooked until soft, about 5 more minutes.  I added the minced garlic, jalapeno and allspice.  I stirred another minute or two.  Lastly, I added the plantain, pineapple, and tomatoes.


I cooked until the plantain was soft, about 15 minutes. The plantain was harder to peel than a banana - that surprised me.  I had to use a sharp knife to help me.  I cooked it down until there was no liquid left.


I returned the lentils and roasted veggies to the pot.  I put back the cooking liquid, plus the cilantro stems, bay leaf, and sliced jalapeno.  I covered it over medium-low heat until the mixture slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.


I wanted mine more soupy than thick like a stew which is why I used extra broth.  I removede the cilantro stems, bay leaf and jalapeno and threw in the cilantro leaves.


I really, really, REALLY enjoyed this!!! I was so surprised - it exceeded my expectations.  Loved the pineapple and plantain (the plantains were more like potato than banana).  It had some pretty deep "heat" so the sweet was nice in this.  It was so flavorful without hardly any seasoning.  I didn't even add S&P at the end.  I was happy I used the veggie base, instead of water like the recipe used.  I didn't even mind the bacon because it was flabby - I knew it was cooked and it stood out in taste.  Maybe next time I would chop it finer so there weren't such large pieces left?  Or maybe I would use some Canadian back bacon and chorizo?  Such a different dish than I normally would do and I'm glad I tried it out. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment