Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Fesenjan (Chicken Stew with Walnut & Pomegranate Sauce)

I saw this Fesenjan (pronounced fesenjoon) dish while watching "Food Network" and thought it would be an interesting fall dinner (and I have lots of walnuts in the house).  I found a recipe I liked here and went for it.  I found a Middle Eastern grocer and was able to pick up the pomegranate "sauce", no problem, though I think I bought molasses - it was bitter.



As someone who loves to cook, I SUCK at making rice.  I am a complete failure at any type, except "microwave in the package" types.  I debated trying it in the "Instant Pot" but ultimately thought it easier to just go buy it.  So, at lunch I walked to a Persian restaurant and bought some takeout Tahdig, just the crispy parts (free!)...


...and Persian steamed rice (below).



Tahdig -  looking at recipes, is like an "art form" to make.  I knew I was not capable of constructing that art work - especially on a work night!  One day, maybe when I retire, I will give it a try?  It's on my "to do" list in food.  I tweaked the recipe a little, to suit me:
  • 2 large yellow onions, sliced thin and fried golden brown in avocado oil 
  • 2 pounds boneless/skinless thighs  (I quickly browned them though bone in would have been my preference, just not available)
  • 8 ounces walnuts 
(I toasted mine in a non-stick pan for about 5 minutes over med-low heat)
  • 1/2 cup cold water 
  • 1 cup pomegranate concentrate (It was also pucker tart sour when I tasted it, so I added 3 tablespoons of brown sugar to try and balance sweet & sour)
  • 1 & 1/2 cups "Better than Bouillon"organic low sodium chicken stock mixed with the pomegranate sauce, (UM - this was waaaay too much liquid.  Lesson learned.  I should have followed her recipe)...I just thought it would burn without the stock
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
  • 1 pomegranate - cut in half and seeds tapped out, for garnish
  • Chopped parsley, for garnish
Blend walnuts in food processor until it turns to paste.


With the food processor running add cold water through the chute in the lid. Continue processing until the paste turns beige in color.

Fry the sliced onions in oil until browned.  This took me an hour before I just put in a little pomegranate sauce to brown them up.


It was like making French onion soup which is not a weeknight meal.  Dicing might be what I do next time.  Add chicken to dutch oven, brown both sides.  Put the fried onions over top.  
Dollop the walnut paste over the fried onions. Season with S&P.


Pour pomegranate concentrate & stock over all the ingredients.  Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir and turn the heat to low.  Simmer covered for an additional hour, stirring occasionally.  The sauce should be thickened and the chicken tender. 

Serve over rice.  Garnish with pomegranate seeds and parsley  I will use cauliflower rice next time to make it healthier, but this time I wanted to try the recipe as presented.



Hmmm, well, we both thought it was a little (okay a LOT) too "tart" still.  For me it ruined the dish.  I'm going out for lunch with a friend on Friday so think I will suggest the Persian place instead of our spot we were planning on.  I want to try the "Fesenjan" there since it is on the menu, so I can compare. I have never eaten Persian food before...


I will make this dish again but will go back to the store and ask what brand of pomegranate sauce they suggest I use to make this recipe.  I'm mad that I didn't ask them!  They were so helpful with all the other products I bought that day.  So...that being said, it was pretty good otherwise.  The rice was perfect and the onions helped sweeten the sauce - which is a good thing!  Practice makes perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment