Saturday, November 4, 2017

Southern-Style Smothered Chicken

The PBS show "Cook's Country" where I made the "Apple Pandowdy" from, also made this dish in that episode.  That episode was called "Smothered & Dowdied".  I found the recipe online so I didn't have to write it out myself, which was nice.  This looked fantastic and I wanted to make it too.  It made me drool watching them put this together.  I did all my mise en place first today and it felt good - all I had to do was dump, stir and cook once I started...

  • 3 - 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, split breasts cut in half crosswise, drumsticks, and/or thighs, trimmed (I used all thighs and that was 12 pieces)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)
  • 2 onions, chopped fine
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves (I used poultry seasoning)
  • 2 cups chicken broth (I used organic, low-sodium "Better than Bouillon")
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Spread 1/2 cup flour in shallow dish. Working with 1 piece at a time, dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess, and transfer to plate.

2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken to pot, skin side down, and cook until deep golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side; transfer to plate. (Don't crowd the pan or the chicken won't brown, I did 3 batches of 4 pieces).



Repeat with remaining chicken, adjusting heat if flour begins to burn.


3. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat and return pot to medium heat. Add onions, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.


Stir in garlic, sage, and remaining 2 tablespoons flour and cook until vegetables are well coated with flour and garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, scraping up any browned bits.

4. Nestle chicken into sauce, add any accumulated juices from plate, and bring to boil.


Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until breasts register 160 degrees and drumsticks/thighs register 175 degrees, 30 to 40 minutes. 

5. Transfer chicken to serving dish.


Stir vinegar into sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
_________________________________________

They said to serve with rice, which I did for my son.  I used roasted cauliflower rice for mine and we both had braised kale.  I roasted my cauliflower until browned.  It lended to the "stuffing" flavor of the gravy and was kind of like I was eating it.  I loved the vinegar in the sauce too.  It really enhanced the taste.


This was a very good, simple recipe that pleased and satisfied.  That kale was super tasty as well.  A keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment