Monday, November 6, 2017

Chicken, Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups with Alfredo Sauce

When I go away on vacation, I always leave my son a casserole to get him started.  This was the one, this time.  I've seen many recipes for this in different variations, but created my own and it was pretty easy.  I didn't make it all from scratch and took some shortcuts.  I used:

  • 1 half of a rotisserie chicken, skin stripped off and chicken shredded off the bones and chopped in small pieces (bones went to freezer for soup stock)
  • 1 large container (750 grams) of 10% fat Ricotta cheese
  • 1 container (10 oz) of organic baby spinach
  • 1 jar (410 ml) of Alfredo sauce (I used Classico as it was on sale)
  • 12 lasagna noodles, cooked in salted water and drained
  • 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup of pesto sauce (I used Kirkland brand)
  • 1 ball (250 grams) fresh Mozzarella cheese, grated
  • Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
I got the chicken ready earlier in the day and put it in the fridge.  I used half of the chicken below.


I took the spinach and put it in a large bowl.  I drizzled a couple of tablespoons of water over and sealed it with plastic wrap.  I nuked it in the microwave for a couple of minutes until just wilted.


I stirred it with each ingredient one by one...Below, pesto was the first addition:


Next was the chicken:


Last was the ricotta:


The filling was delicious when done!

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Boil noodles in salted water, drain and leave in strainer.


I find if I leave the strainer over some of the hot steaming water in the pot, they don't stick together while I'm doing prep.  I used cooking spray on a 13" x 9" baking dish.


I laced the bottom with a little Alfredo sauce and set it aside.


I took a baking sheet and rolled up 2 noodles at a time.  I made 12 and the filling was all gone though I thought it wouldn't be.



I poured the Alfredo sauce over evenly and sprinkled the Parmesan and pepper.


I topped with the fresh (I grated it) mozzarella and baked for 45 minutes.


I let it rest 15 minutes when it came out.


I tried one roll (for tasting purposes only, of course, lol) and it was darn delicious, though I know not very healthy with all the cheese - especially the ricotta, etc.


My son LOVED it (the pesto really worked well in this mixture), and that's all that matters - that and that I left him dinner for a few nights...I reminded him that ONE roll was a proper serving.  😄


2 comments:

  1. Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog
    before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new
    to me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely happy I found it
    and I'll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Nothing makes me happier than sharing/talking about food. :)

      Delete