Monday, January 11, 2021

Caci-Oat Pepe

I saw this on food t.v. and knew I had to give it a try for the next brunch. Plus I admire chef Michael Voltaggio and wanted to try his recipe as I thought it was ingenious.  He made avocado toast pizza too!  I added an over-easy egg to each dish, bacon on the side and fresh raspberries to complete plating.  What I used:

  • 2 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1 cup organic "Bob's Red Mill" quick-cooking steel-cut oats
  • Freshly cracked black pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (I didn't have any Pecorino in the fridge), plus more for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

The recipe called for "Irish" oats, so I googled them and saw this:


So, no, I didn't buy them and used my "Bob's Red Mill" in the cupboard that I already had and actually that's what he used on the show too...



Add the chicken stock to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the oats and cook for 5 to 7 minutes (package directions). 


Season with lots of black pepper and the grated cheese. Stir in Butter.  


Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.  Garnish with more freshly grated cheese and serve with egg on top.  I broke the yolks for the pictures.


We both love pepper and cheese so this was a no-brainer for brunch.  What a great idea too!  LOVED this!  Really, it was mind-blowing delicious.  If you like the pasta dish of Cacio e Pepe, you will adore this savory brunch treat.  It'd be good for any meal actually.  The egg took it over the top with the yolk running over.  Huge Thumbs UP! 😋




No comments:

Post a Comment