Sunday, January 24, 2021

Gomae (Japanese Spinach Salad)

I had about 8 oz of organic baby spinach in the fridge that I knew I was going to have to use soon.  I saw this recipe flash by on Social Media and went ding ding ding.  My son loves this and always picks it when we order Japanese food.  What I used:

  • 2 ½ tablespoons organic tahini
  • 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 ½ tablespoons  soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons mirin
  • 8 oz organic baby spinach
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • Toasted sesame seeds for garnish

First off, don't mind the pyrex dish I used.  It is about 30 years old now and those handles will never come clean but it's still here in my pots and pans collection as it's hard to part with certain dishes.  Wow, sounds like a confession... 


I took a short cut on my spinach.  I just nuked it in the microwave for 90 seconds, covered, and then let it steam in the casserole dish with the lid on after.  


I only added about a tablespoon of water.  I still had to squish out some water, so did that between paper towels three times.  Below is before the squish...


I put the spinach in the fridge to get cold overnight.  I mixed the sauce up with a fork in a shallow bowl.


I mixed with the greens and garnished with toasted sesame seeds.


So the end product was two little ramekins (above).  It was overdressed because I only had half the spinach for the recipe.  However, we love the dressing so didn't mind.  That being said, I do prefer "peanut sauce" dressing like you get with Vietnamese salad rolls over this type.  We've had both dressings when ordering Gomae.  This was good though and easy to put together.


No comments:

Post a Comment