Sunday, January 3, 2021

Bison Sausages with Onions & Peppers

I took sausages out of the freezer this morning and this is what I came up with for dinner.  I would have loved to serve this on baguettes, had I had them...

  • 4 smokey bison sausages
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • 1 large onion, sliced in half moons
  • 1 green bell pepper, core & seeds removed, sliced in strips
  • 1 red bell pepper, core & seeds removed, sliced in strips
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and sliced with innards intact
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 530 ml jar Arrabbiata sauce
  • 1 tablespoon freeze-dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon crushed chilis
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup Marsala wine
  • 1 cup of "Anson Mills" rustic integrale polenta, cooked to package directions



I heated a non-stick skillet to med-high heat.  I sautéed the onion, peppers, garlic, chilies in a swirl of olive oil until soft (the polenta takes about an hour, so I started it here).  I deglazed the pan with the Marsala and cooked it till gone.  I added in the pasta sauce, S&P and Italian seasoning.  


I broiled the sausages in the oven until browned on both sides.  I tucked these into the peppers.  I covered the pan and simmered on low while I finished the polenta (stir, stir, stir).  


When ready, I spooned the polenta into serving bowls and topped with the sausages and peppers.  Like I always say, Anson Mills grains steal the show of any dish, so there's that.  The bison sausages are my favorite from my local sausage purveyor.  


Normally I would have put freshly grated Parmigiana-Reggiano into the polenta and the pepper sauce but because it's a new year, I'll cut calories where I can for a while...  🙄  Anyway, it wasn't needed.  This was a masterpiece of spicy (make you sweat spicy!), creamy, dreamy and smokey.  The peppers were still tender-crisp so there was added welcome texture as well.  Big THUMBS UP!!!  👍  When I do this again on baguette I will leave out the tomato sauce and add Provolone cheese on the bread.  That being said, this was perfect on polenta.



No comments:

Post a Comment