Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Christmas: Panettone Bread Pudding

A kind neighbor brought me a Panettone over Christmas and I decided to make bread pudding with it.  I haven't seen a panettone since I dated my Italian ex.  His parents seemed like they had a 100 of them on their counter at Christmas, that they received as gifts.  Quite a sight, so many different types and makers of it.  I always wondered what they did with them all... Anyway, bread pudding always makes me think of both New Orleans as it's a specialty there and my dad (RIP), who made it for us as kids.  Here's what I concocted today:


  • 1.5 lb panettone bread, sliced into large 1" cubes (it was 1.8 lbs but I used a slice earlier for French toast and to gain inspiration on what to do with the loaf)
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins and dried tart Montmorency cherries soaked in 1/4 cup brandy and 1/4 cup Gran Marnier liqueur overnight
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 5 large organic free range eggs, beaten with whisk
  • 2 & 3/4 cups half & half cream (10% m.f.)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Caramel sauce, for serving
  • Vanilla ice cream or whip cream, for serving


I greased a large baking dish with cooking spray.  


I sliced the panettone and scattered it evenly in the dish.  I topped with the boozy fruit and the chocolate chips, spreading it uniformly overtop.


In a separate bowl, with a whisk I combined the eggs, cream, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.  


When mixed well I poured over the bread and let it soak in for 5 minutes.  I used a spoon to let some of the chocolate and fruit slide down as well.  


I baked in a preheated oven at 350ºF for 55 minutes until poofy, set and golden brown.  


I served my son a piece with a drizzle of caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.   He had to be the taste tester before it went out to a couple neighbors.  


After the first bite, I got a "Mmmmm, oh mom it's very good and delicious".  Good enough for me!  It's hard not to like bread pudding, methinks...


No comments:

Post a Comment